Thursday, May 23, 2013

If you liked it then you shoulda put your name on it

Dear everyone who's applied to or for anything ever:

Label the files that you email to someone in a way that would make the file names in someone else's possession make ONE MODICUM of sense.

For example, if you send me an email, and attach a resume(or CV), these file names make me want to reject you without further thought:

resume.doc
myresume.doc


This annoying little thing makes my frustrated mind over-value the resumes of people that actually put their name in the file. It's such a dumb little thing, but when there's a stack of applicants for a position, you might be surprised what people use as their selective criterion.



Like that one time, when someone forgot to spell check their email to me, and called me Dr. Swam.










... And then I stupidly and mockingly posted the above on Facebook, and now some of my roller derby family (lovingly?) call me Dr. Swam or Swammy.


So... yeah. Label those files.


No comments:

Post a Comment